Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hat Tossing Time!!!

Ladies and Gents,

Paula Deen is looking for the next Deen Team Blogger.  With that in mind, I am going to toss my hat into the ring.  My red hair is on fire and my creative juices have shifted into overdrive....or overhaul....well, maybe a little of each, so here goes.

Paula has asked that applicants demonstrate why we think we are the best candidate.  Let's start with the basics....I'm a short, round redhead with tons of personality, I am not shy or retiring, I love to mix things up, especially from a culinary standpoint, my recipes are easy and delicious...and I can write.  I have been published in Plano Profile Magazine and my Turkey, Cranberry and Chipotle Tamale recipe has travelled through the Chef and Publisher blogs.  I am working on my first cookbook.  I have been described as "very creative" and "open".  I have a way of connecting with and engaging with people, both in person and in writing.  I know how to address any subject in a polite and appropriate manner, and with or without humor.   I know how to say please, thank you, and I'm sorry....and mean it.

But the most important thing is - any blog should not be solely about the writer, it has to include the reader / follower.  Each blogger needs to be able to connect with their audience, tell stories, talk about how things developed for the recipe or situation and provide the reader with the impetus to try and the confidence to succeed.  A blogger needs to be able to be open and have the ability to share information about themselves, their successes and failures so that people can connect with them and with each other, in other words, a blogger is a facilitator.  A blogger also needs to be able to receive feedback graciously, whether it is positive, identifies an opportunity for improvement or is more critical feedback.  Blog content should also include mishaps, challenges and opportunities and what we did about them and what we learned so that readers / followers know it is OK when these things occur, that it is not always going to be right the first time.

My role, as a food blogger, is to inspire.  One of the things that I am looking forward to is holding cooking classes in a casual but structured environment so that people can connect via a common meeting ground.  Whether the food is good, bad or great, food brings people together.

Food and cooking can:

  • Facilitate relationship building because it is a subject that everyone is familiar with  
  • Open communication in a way that no other vehicle can because food is a universal language, we all speak "food" no matter what our background
  • Express love, offer comfort and rebuild broken bridges
  • Inspire creativity, enhance fun and be a stress reliever
  • Be comic relief, break world records and bring communities together
  • Raise money to feed the hungry
  • Help heal the sick and offer hope
Now that I have shared my personal philosophy, I would love to hear from y'all.  What are your thoughts about food and its expanded role in society?  What do you think food and cooking can do?  

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan 

No comments:

Post a Comment