Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Messy Miguel's

As a child of the 60's and 70's, I grew up eating "Sloppy Joe's".  For those that may be unfamiliar with this, it is a mixture of ground beef, tomato sauce and some spices, cooked until the sauce becomes very thick, a scoop of this concoction is served on a hamburger bun and it is mainly a food for children....well, children of all ages.

I was watching an old movie and in one of the scenes they are serving this meal to a bunch of kids at camp.  I couldn't help but think.....what can I do to update this?  Knowing that I lean towards the flavors of the Southwest U.S. and Mexico, I decided to turn this into a more adult, spicier version of the meal.  Then came the name.  It's kind of cute, dontcha think?

Yield:  8 servings
Temperature:  Stovetop, medium to medium low
Time:  45 minutes
Difficulty:  Easy

Ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil
2 pounds of ground beef
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 medium, purple onion, diced
2 poblano peppers, diced
1 - 2 chipotles in adobo, minced (use 2 chipotles if you like your food to bite back)
30 ounces of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Shredded cheese (1 cup of pepper jack, 1 cup of cheddar and 1 cup of mozzarella mixed)

Steps:
1.  In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil.  Then add the ground beef and cook until browned.  The meat should be "scrambled" so that there are no large pieces or chunks of ground beef.
2.  Add the garlic, onion and peppers, chipotles and cook until the peppers and onions are soft.
3.  Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper and stir to incorporate.
4.  Cook on medium low, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes thick and holds it's shape on a spoon.

Serving suggestion:
1.  Serve on tortillas with shredded cheese and avocado - 8 servings
2.  Use as a filling for empanadas.
3.  Use as a filling for arepas.
4.  Serve as a dip, using tortilla chips or plantain chips.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you, enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment