Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Soft, Creamy and Flavorful Sandwich

I must say that this sandwich was a bit of a surprise for me.  I normally always have meat in a sandwich but recently, I had some pretty significant oral surgery done and could only eat soft foods.  So, I decided to do a take-off on a Caprese salad and make it into a sandwich.

I love the traditional tomato, mozzarella and basil salad, but wanted to add some creaminess to the sandwich idea.  Here is what I did:

2 slices bread of your choice
2 tablespoons of mayo mixed with 1 tablespoon of basil pesto, spread that on the bread.
Then place 1-2 slices of provolone cheese, a few slices of thinly sliced tomato and strips of roasted red peppers that have been julienned.  Now comes the best part......avocado...place 4 slices of avocado on the sandwich and then cover with the other piece of bread.  Place in a panini press and cook until crisp and golden.  Slice and serve.

If you are any thing like me, I don't have a panini press.  I find that an old fashioned griddle works just as well.  I have even pulled out my George Forman grill to make sandwiches on.

My husband LOVED this sandwich when I made it and he is very much a meat and potatoes kind of man. He has also asked if I would make it again......"score" one for the Pookie!!!!

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,

Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment