Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Monday, March 3, 2014

Someone Else's Blackberry Cobbler

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share a picture of a cobbler that I made using someone else's recipe.  This is a blackberry cobbler made a much different way than the usual.  The biscuit dough was rolled out to approx. 1/2 inch, covered with blackberries, rolled up like a jelly roll, cut into 2 inch slices and placed in a buttered pan and baked.

First of all, I have to say right off the bat, that I added chopped crystalized ginger to the biscuit dough and sprinkled the top of the biscuits with sugar crystals.  I also added twice as many blackberries as the recipe called for, so the biscuits were "juicier".

They came out incredibly well.  So well that I am going to make them again with my original modifications.

 One of the challenges that I face is that I can't leave any recipe alone.  My husband and I tend to like bold flavors and a bit of spice in our food. so I'm always taking recipes and adding more of something to them.  Whether that is an existing ingredient or not, depends upon what I'm making.

For example, while I was making this cobbler, I decided to make a fruited butter.  I took room temperature butter, added some honey and strained blackberries (I'm not a fan of the seeds) and mixed until everything was incorporated.  I have done this with mashed strawberries, peaches and raspberries.  Each fruit butter requires adjustments to the amount of honey that is added.  I have even done this with minced candied lemon peel and lemon zest.  For a different twist, use room temperature cream cheese and honey and add your fruit to that.  Making your own is much cheaper than buying it and you can control how much fruit and sweetness that is added.  These fruited butters and cream cheese make wonderful gifts for a housewarming party or as a take home gift following a party.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,

Enjoy!!!
S.




No comments:

Post a Comment