Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chili Peppers, red hot and otherwise

Well....the Hatch chile festival is just about over.  I have stocked up on enough chiles to use until next year.  I typically purchase these in the mild and the hot version.  My husband is the one who like hot peppers.  I make several recipes with them, but his favorite is the variety of stuffed peppers that I make.  I stuff them with several things: meats, plantains, rice & beans, cheese, eggs, cornbread and make home-made ranchero sauce or salsa (red and green) to bake them in.  For the cornbread stuffed peppers, I make a sweetened red salsa.  I think this year, I may use the peppers for Thanksgiving and make some sort of turkey stuffed pepper.....hmm, now I'm thinking.  

The other pepper that I like to use to stuff, is a poblano.  These are a very dark green and look gorgeous with the red salsa or ranchero sauce on them.  These are dipped in a very light batter and deep fried until golden brown.  

Candied jalapenos.....this is a food group all of it's own.  I make these by the potful for my husband and friends and use the excess syrup for a surprise "kick" in several other recipes.  All I can say right now is chocolate and "the spicy"......YUM!!!!

I also love to make tamales.  I make these each year for the holidays and typically get orders for them.  For fun, I make sweet dessert tamales with some sort of decadent sauce to go over them.  The sauce will most likely involve a bottle of tequila, which is one of my favorite liquors.....ole`!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment