Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11

The following sounds more like a 4th of July meal and as I consider the menu, I cannot think of what a better day than today to celebrate being an American....9/11, the anniversary of the day we, as a society, were forever changed.

In remembrance of our brothers and sisters that were lost on that fateful day, I will bow my head in prayer for their families and will stand firm as a proud American.

May God bless us and guide us with His light.

I have been looking at a watermelon for over a week trying to decide what to do with it....and have finally decided.  I am going to make watermelon water and pickle the rind.  I know that sounds weird, but watermelon rind pickles are sweet and full of the flavor of cloves.  The finished product has a kind of "moonstone" look.  The watermelon water has simple syrup, mint and lime juice in it and is simply a very refreshing drink....oh my goodness....I may have to add a shot of tequila to that.

The next item that I will make is a broccoli salad that my mother-in-law introduced me to.  It has currants, bacon and onion in it with a cream cheese dressing that is simply out of this world.

So, for dinner tonite we are having fried chicken, broccoli salad and watermelon water.  Dessert is the dark chocolate pie that I referenced in an earlier post.....it has not been made, at least not yet.  I expect that it will be done tonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment