Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday Night Pozole

It is just starting to get chilly here in North Texas, so it's time to make various soups.  Favorites in our home are Pozole, Sausage Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup and several others.

Pozole is a very traditional Mexican soup that can be made with chicken, pork, turkey or other meat that you may like.  I happen to LOVE this with pork tenderloin.

The recipe is one that the owner of my favorite jewelry store told me about.  She is an amazing woman who has spent her life traveling all over the world.  One of her greatest loves is Southwestern jewelry.  She is lively, warm, kind, sweet and spicy.

Whenever I make this soup, I always bring some to Maxine.  She loves the soup with pork and likes it spicy.  So, this is for Maxine.


Sweet Sue's Pozole

4 quarts chicken stock
2 lbs pork tenderloin, trimmed and diced into 1/2 inch pieces.
2 cans hominy, drained and rinsed
1 – 15 ounce jar of "medium" or "hot" salsa verde
1 large onion, diced
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Mexican Crema – this is a softer and smoother version of sour cream

Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a large pan
Add the onion and sauté until translucent
Add the chicken stock, salsa verde and cumin and bring to a slow simmer, being very careful to not boil
Add the chopped pork and hominy and stir to separate the pork pieces, cook for an additional 15 minutes

Garnish with a drizzle of crema and enjoy.


This will definitely warm you up on a cold day,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment