Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Vintage Pumpkin Bread - old family recipe

The following narrative and recipe are an excerpt from my book.  I hope you enjoy!!


Pumpkin Bread

This bread was a staple in my home growing up.  My mother baked this beginning every fall right through the winter.  Since we lived in New England, just north of Boston, fall always came early in September.  The beginning of school marked the official fall season.  Indian Summer also brought warm days, cool nights and the promise of wonderful smells and tastes.

This is a very thick batter and is best mixed with a large spoon and strong arm or with a heavy duty mixer.  

If you make this as a single recipe, it makes 1 ½ loaves of bread in a regular size loaf pan or 6 Texas size muffins.  Please don’t try to fit all the batter into one regular loaf pan, the center will come out gooey and uncooked and the top and edges will be burned.  

If you double this recipe, it makes 3 regular size loaves.  This freezes wonderfully and is delicious served with cream cheese.

Begin by lining the bottom of your baking pans / tins with waxed paper or parchment paper cut to fit.  Spray the baking vessels with cooking spray.  Preheat the oven to 350` and use the center rack.

Now, for the best Pumpkin Bread you will ever taste……

2 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour     1 – 15 oz can of pumpkin
2 cups of sugar 1 /2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)


Mix the dry ingredients together.  

Mix the pumpkin & oil together

Place the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients and fold in the dry ingredients.  Divide evenly among the baking vessels.  

Bake the muffins at 350 for approx. 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Bake the breads for approx 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment