Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

365 in 365 - #33 - Irish Bread

This is one of those recipes that takes me back to my childhood every time I make it.  Mom always made this for St. Patty's Day and occasionally throughout the rest of the year.  This was one of her personal favorites.  Not everyone likes the flavor of caraway seeds, so you can leave them out, if you like.  I'm thinking of using the base and substituting dried pears and cardamom....that sounds sooo very yummy to me.  OOOOO - and pear butter to go with......I'll let y'all know how that turns out.

This bread is not cake like, it is more bread-like than other quick bread recipes that you may find.  It is also not very sweet, so it works as either a slightly sweet treat or as a side to go with lunch or dinner.   I serve this warm, either plain or with butter.   

Irish Bread

3 cups of flour
3 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 cup mixed raisins – dark and light
2 tbsp cold butter, diced
1 egg beaten
1 ¼ cups milk
1 ½ tsp caraway seeds

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  
Blend in butter with a pastry blender
Add remaining ingredients and mix by hand

Grease and flour an oversized loaf pan.  If you double the recipe, this will make three 5 X 7 loaves and will freeze very well.  

Bake at 375’ for 50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the bread comes out clean.

It also makes great muffins and works well for "tea" or as an afternoon snack.

I hope y'all enjoy!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment