Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Monday, February 7, 2011

365 in 365 - #34 - Blueberry Coffee Cake

From the time I was a very little girl, my mom made this coffee cake when blueberries were at their peak.  This was my dad's most favorite treat, well next to my mom's hermits, pumpkin bread and pumpkin cake...anyway...when my mom would bake this, our whole house would smell of blueberries and nutmeg.  As I got a little bit older, my friends and I discovered a great blueberry patch at the reservoir and I would go pick blueberries just for this cake.  Sometimes, I think about going back to see if the blueberries are still there, but I don;t get back "home" very often.  Each time I make this cake, I make it in my mom's original angel food pan, yes...even after all these years.

Ruthie’s Blueberry Coffee Cake

2 cups all purpose flour, plus 2 TBSP
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt 2/3 cup granulated sugar

4 TBSP butter, melted
4 cups fresh blueberries, washed and drained with the debris picked out.  

¾ cup milk
2 large eggs, beaten

For the topping:
3 TBSP sugar mixed with ½ tsp nutmeg

Buttered or greased Angel Food pan

Directions
Heat the oven to 350`, use the middle rack.

Toss the blueberries with 2 tbsp of flour being very careful not to break the berries.  If fresh blueberries are not available, you can substitute 2 cups dried blueberries and toss them with flour as well.

Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and stir to mix.  No need to sift.  Combine the milk, eggs and butter and add to dry ingredients.  Fold together until just mixed, then very gently, fold in the blueberries.

Gently spread the batter into the angel food pan, sprinkle with the sugar and nutmeg.  Bake for approx 45 to 60 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from the pan.

This recipe also makes a fabulous muffin, just adjust the baking time.

This is a wonderful blueberry cake recipe that works well for a spring or summer party.  Serve with whipped cream and a few sliced strawberries, and you will have a great treat for the 4th of July holiday. 

Nostalgic Red, White & Blue.  

I know you will enjoy this cake.
S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment