Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Monday, February 7, 2011

365 in 365 - #35 - Ginger Pancakes with Peach Sauce

My mom got this recipe from a friend named Kathy when I was in my mid 20's.  I can't remember Kathy's last name or I would happily give her credit for it.  If you like ginger, you will like these.  The flavor is warm and has a little "bite" to it.  Served with the peach sauce, they are sweet, savory and delicious.

Ginger Pancakes With Peach Sauce

1 ½ cups flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 TBSP oil
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
1 extra large egg, beaten

Combine the dry ingredients and stir.  Combine the wet ingredients separately from the dry ingredients and stir

Then, combine all ingredients together and stir until just combined.  Do not stir the batter until it is smooth or you will get a tough pancake.  Cook on a greased griddle as usual.

Peach Sauce

At home, my mom used to serve the pancakes with peach jam.  Jam tends to be a bit sweet for my taste and I don't particularly care for the texture.  I am the one who takes the jam or jelly out of the jar and mixes the dickens out of it until it becomes soft and spreadable.  I wanted to have a much softer texture, somewhere between a syrup and a jam.  So, I decided to try using canned peaches, which worked out surprisingly well.

2 large cans of cling peaches, juice and all, diced
Place in a 2 quart sauce pan and turn the burner on low and bring to a simmer
Mix 1 tbsp corn starch with 1 tbsp water and add to the hot peaches.
Add ¼ cup minced crystallized ginger and stir until slightly thickened

I will be interested to hear how you like these pancakes and the sauce.

Enjoy!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment