Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, October 6, 2011

365 in 365 - #114 Pumpkin Pudding

Since it is autumn (though you probably couldn't tell it here in Texas), it is pumpkin season.   I just returned from visiting my family in New Hampshire and fall is in full swing up in the North East.  I am originally from the coast of northern Massachusetts (pahkin my kah in the yahd) where the annual Topsfield Fair is held on old Route 1.  This is a scenic and lovely drive on a densely forested road.

So, in honor of this wonderful season, this is a recipe that I actually just came up with and I think you will love it.

3 cups of whole milk
1 cup of pumpkin
1/2 cup of sugar
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons of corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons of cold water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all the wet ingredients together...except for the cornstarch and water...and pour into a saucepan and heat on medium low, stirring constantly.  Mix all the dry ingredients together and add to the pan, using a wire whisk, mix well to incorporate and continue stirring constantly.  When the mixture gets hot, stir the cornstarch and water and then slowly add it to the pudding while stirring.  Continue to cook, stirring constantly until thickened.  Pour into a heat-proof bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and let it cool.

The cook gets the spoon and the pan, just to be sure that it is safe for everyone else to eat...

Serve with cinnamon whipped cream and if you are feeling particularly decadent, add some chocolate shavings over the top.

Happy autumn everyone!!!

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment