Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, October 29, 2011

365 in 365 - #116 - Fruit Nachos

Sometimes, I come up with recipes in a very "round-about" way.....sort of like taking the long way around.  This recipe is one of those examples.  

One night on our vacation, Jason and I had dinner at a restaurant in Albuquerque on the side of Sandia Peak.  The restaurant served flour tortilla chips instead of the standard corn tortilla chips.  The salsa was quite spicy and I loved that.  But, it also had a sweetness to it, which I also liked.  And, I think everyone knows that I just love a fruit salsa.  Dinner came, and I had the gooiest cheese chile rellenos...they were amazing.  It was then that it hit me....flour tortilla chips, cream cheese spread instead of beans, and some kind of sweet heat to top it all off.  

Many people may know about serving room temp cream cheese with some sort of sauce poured over it with crackers for dipping.  This recipe is kind of like that, but less messy for your guests. 

You can purchase or make your own flour tortilla chips.  If you make them, heat approximately 2 inches of veggie oil to 350 - 375 degrees (F).  Cut the flour tortillas into your desired shape and fry in the oil until golden brown and drain on paper towels.  I generally stick with the 6 inch size of tortilla to make chips from and cut them into 6 wedges.  I use 2 packages with approx. 10 tortillas in the package.  

  • You will need 8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
  • 1 jar of apricot jam mixed with 1 chipotle in adobo that has been finely minced (these come in cans in the Hispanic food section of the grocery store).  If you like more heat and a stronger chipotle flavor, add 1 more chipotle.  It is also an option to remove the seeds from the chipotle, if you prefer.  
  • You can substitute any jar of jam (with or without heat) and substitute any kind of nut.  My candied jalapenos also make a great topping for the cheese and no nuts are needed.  
  • 1/2 cup minced macadamia nuts, which are optional
Spread each chip with cream cheese and then spread with 2 teaspoons of the jam and sprinkle with the minced nuts.  This recipe makes a pile of chips, but be prepared for them to disappear quickly - especially during the preparation phase of this recipe.  These are addictive!

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you.

Enjoy your evening,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment