Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Bouncing Baby Brisket

Hi Everyone!!!

Jason and I have a favorite Tex-Mex restaurant that we eat at every Sunday after church.  They sell the most amazing brisket tacos ever made.  Unfortunately, I have been completely unable to wrangle, cajole or otherwise coerce the recipe out of the wait staff or the chef.  So, I decided to make my own version, but with a little more "oomph" by adding a spicy red wine to the cooking liquid.

Here is what I did:

Yield - approximately 12 tacos, 1 to 2 per person, unless you are like Jason...then it is 3.
Temperature - Cook in a crock pot on low
Time - 8 hours
Difficulty - Easy

Ingredients:
1 - 16 ounce can of chicken stock
1 - cup of Shiraz
1 - medium onion, chunked
2 - poblano peppers - cut into chunks
12 - whole garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of a spicy adobo seasoning mix
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed chipotle pepper
2 pounds of brisket

Place the liquids and all other ingredients in a crock pot and stir.  Then add the meat, cover and let it cook.

When the brisket is done, take it out of the crock pot, trim and cut across the grain...this will pretty much fall apart.  Be sure to strain out 1 cup of the cooking liquid and store the meat with the juice in a sealed container.

For the tacos:
12 - 6 inch corn or flour tortillas
12 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
12 ounces sliced purple or pickled onions (pickled work REALLY well in this recipe)
12 slices avocado that have been spritzed with lime juice

To assemble the tacos:
Lay out the tortillas, sprinkle with 1 ounce of cheese.  Add about 1/3 cup brisket and 1 ounce of pickled onion, fold in half and cook on a non-stick surface until the tortilla is warm and lightly browned.  Add a slice of avocado and enjoy.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment