Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, March 2, 2012

Southwestern Flavored Dipping Oil

I was inspired by the traditional Italian dipping oils to come up with a much different flavor profile.  As most of you know, I am in love with the American southwest.  I love the land, the sky, the people....but most of all, there is an inner peace that I cannot describe that comes over me when I am there.  Texas is currently my home, but my heart longs for New Mexico and someday, Jason and I will live there.

As a tribute to this wonderful part of the US, here is my version of a flavored dipping oil.

It is a rich and chunky dipping oil that is amazing served over grilled shrimp, chicken or pork.  It can also be used very nicely with pasta.  And...it can be turned into a salad dressing, just add about 1/3 cup lime juice and a drizzle of agave nectar (or honey) and whisk together.

2 cups really good olive oil
1/2 cup, roasted, mashed garlic
1/2 cup roasted, peeled and chopped Hatch Chili peppers
1/2 cup purple onion that has been grilled and chopped
1 teaspoon dried and crushed chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Mix all the ingredients together and let it sit for 6 hours at room temperature for the flavors to come together.  Then either use of refrigerate.  This will keep in your frige for about a week, but I promise you...it won't last that long.  Once refrigerated, you will need to plan ahead to use this and take it out of the fridge for the oil to soften.

If  you order the Hatch Chili Pepper Bread from Golden Crown Panaderia in Albuquerque, New Mexico, you will be amazed at how awake your taste buds will be.  Please visit  www.goldencrown.biz to order the bread and other wonderful goodies.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,

Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment