Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, January 20, 2012

Pumped up Popcorn

I was reading some friends posts on facebook and they were talking about how wonderful the smell of popcorn is.  And, I have to agree.  There is something so comforting about a hot bowl of popcorn, fresh out of the popper.  I'm not talking about the semi-popcorn-like stuff that comes out of a microwave or the gunk laden stuff from the movie theatre.....I am talking about the kind of popcorn that you cook in some oil in a large pan until the kernels start popping and sound like hail on a tin roof, then melted REAL butter is pour over the popcorn and you sprinkle with a favorite seasoning mix.  When I was a kid, it was simply butter and salt.  But as I grew older, I added black pepper and then began experimenting with other flavors.

A few of the other savory flavor combination that I have made are as follows:

  • 1 - 2 teaspoons Chipotle pepper flakes, drizzle of honey and 1/2 cup pine nuts; drizzle the honey first, sprinkle on the chipotle and the pine nuts and toss before serving.
  • Olive Oil, Chipotle, garlic and cilantro:  drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle on 2 teaspoons chipotle pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and freshly chopped cilantro.   Toss and serve.
  • Olive oil, basil and sun dried tomato - drizzle with olive oil, 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil and 1/3 cup chopped sun dried tomato, toss gently and serve.
  • Olive oil, oregano, feta cheese:  drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle on 2 teaspoons of dried oregano, and toss in 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese.  If you like, you can also add 1/3 cup of chopped sun dried tomatoes.
  • Garlic chips, parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper - 1/3 cup garlic chips, 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon black cracked pepper, toss gently and serve
  • Butter, truffled salt and fresh cracked black pepper - melted butter all over the popcorn, sprinkle with truffled salt and freshly cracked pepper.
This is the "adult" version of popcorn.  

Tomorrow nite, I'll post the sweeter side of the popcorn for adults.....see y'all then,

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment