Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Slightly new twist on an old favorite

Today was a rainy and cold day here in North Texas and it just felt like a great soup day.  I was in the mood for chicken tortilla soup, but didn't have everything in the house.  So, I improvised a bit and took a very basic chicken soup recipe, added chopped jalapeno and chopped cilantro and ended up with a nice "middle of the road" flavor.  Not too spicy, not to "standard".  Here is what I did:

4 quarts of chicken stock
1 package of your favorite pasta
6 boneless chicken breasts, skinned, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
4 ribs of celery, chopped to approx. 1/4 inch
6 carrots, chopped to approx. 1/4 inch
1 large purple onion, chopped to approx. 1/4 inch
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 large jalapenos, seeded, deveined and chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon each of salt & pepper

In a large soup pot, on medium heat, bring the olive oil up to temperature
Add the onion and let saute
Add the diced chicken and let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
Add the remainder of the diced veggies and the chicken stock and stir
Cover and let cook on low until the chicken is cooked through, approx. 30 minutes
Add the pasta, stir, cover and let the pasta cook gently, approx. 10 - 15 minutes

Check to see if the pasta is cooked and taste for seasoning.

I know that this is really simple, but the cilantro and jalapeno made a big difference in the flavor profile.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment