Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Adapting Recipes for a Healthier Lifestyle

I am always looking for ways to change or update recipes to enhance flavor.  One thing that I have given lots of thought to is how do I keep all the flavor of my recipes but reduce sugar, fat and carbohydrate content.  

Tonight, I had the honor and pleasure of speaking with a group of people that is very focused on improving their health using multiple tools and methods.  In preparing for this engagement, I took several of my existing recipes and modified them for a healthier lifestyle and created a booklet to hand out to the group.

I made a pot of my sausage soup, but with much less fat.  When I tasted it, it had all of the flavor of the original version.  I did add rice, but one of the participants in the meeting suggested that I use white beans instead of rice.....what a great suggestion to decrease quick burning carbs and boost nutritional value and fiber!!  

I also made a few great connections with meeting participants and look forward to developing friendships with these lovely ladies.

While we can eat anything that we want any time we want, the question is....should we?  What are we doing to ourselves when we make these choices?   

I would love to hear your suggestions and requests for recipes.  If you have come up with any great recipes, I would love to hear about them.  

All this to say that I will be adding healthier versions of my recipes to this blog and will devote time to this important need.  

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment