Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Healthier Recipe - Sausage & Egg "Muffins"

As y'all may know, I recently had the opportunity to speak at a special meeting for people who are very health conscious.  In fact, it was a group of individuals who were considering or have had weight loss surgery.  I had such a wonderful time with them.  

In keeping with a promise I made to them and myself, Here is a new recipe that is simply wonderful, tasty and very figure friendly.

Makes 12 "muffins

Preheat oven to 350' F                  '
1 pound of ground turkey breast
1 1/2 teaspoons of rubbed sage
1/2 heaping teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 heaping teaspoon of anise seed
1/4 teaspoon each of salt & pepper
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, if you like
Mix all these ingredients together and cook in a non-stick skillet until done
Drain off any liquid

1 quart of your favorite egg substitute, I personally prefer EggBeaters
12 tablespoons of  low fat shredded cheddar cheese

Spray a standard muffin tin generously with your favorite cooking spray
Divide the sausage evenly between the 12 muffin tins
Divide the egg substitute evenly between the 12 muffin tins

Bake for approx. 20 to 30 minutes, or until the egg substitute is no longer "jiggly".
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the cheese and serve hot.

These will freeze beautifully.  When reheating these little gems, let them defrost and then cover with a damp paper towel and heat on 50% power in the microwave until hot.  This will take a few extra minutes, but they are well worth it.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment