Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, December 30, 2011

Simple Sauteed Mushrooms

Sauteed mushrooms, if done well, are a marvel.  Particularly button mushrooms when nicely browned.  I know that Julia Child always said, "don't crowd the mushrooms", but I have found that it doesn't matter for me.

I take a whole carton of button or crimini mushrooms that are at least 1.5 inches in diameter, slice them into 4 pieces, heat up my large non-stick skillet, add olive oil and butter, just under medium heat, let that come to a sizzle and throw in all the mushrooms, and disperse them evenly in the pan and give them a good toss to get the oil and butter on as many of them as you can.  Do not add salt yet.  Salt makes the mushrooms sweat and they won't brown as nicely.  Once you do that, the trick is to not touch them for several minutes......let them stay put, but keep an eye on them.  Then after several minutes, and ever so carefully, check one spot in the pan to see if the bottom ones have become golden brown.  If they have, then take a thin plastic spatula and flip them over, and let them sit again for several minutes.  Turning only as the need arises.  Once they are all cooked and nicely browned, then add salt and pepper to taste.  These will work wonderfully as a side dish, on burgers, in a brown gravy or on a salad.  I use these on steaks with my shiraz wine sauce and crumbled bleu cheese......complete YUMNESS!!!!!

I have found that these mushrooms come out gorgeous and golden brown.  I think that part of the reason they come out so well is because they are sliced pretty thick.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Enjoy!!!
S.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, sounds tasty! Mushrooms look so nice sauteed!

    ReplyDelete