Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, May 8, 2011

365 in 365 - #65 & #66 - White Chocolate Pudding with Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coulis

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!!!!

To celebrate Mother's Day, I had my in-laws and my dad over for a late lunch.  And, a very Happy Mother's Day to my mom.  I know you are watching from heaven......I love you and I miss you.  

My mom would have loved this lunch.  I served tortilla crusted fried chicken with chipotle cream gravy, green chile and garlic mashed potatoes, black bean and corn salsa and the pudding for dessert.  The meal itself was delicious and I will post the chicken, gravy and mashed potato recipes later this week. 

My  mother-n-law's favorite dessert flavors are white chocolate and raspberry.  I have made white chocolate pots du creme before and they are wonderful, but a HUGE amount of work.  I wanted something that was just as wonderful, but much simpler to make.  

The pudding was complete YUMNESS....slightly sweet with the sweet/tart flavor of the raspberry coulis...such a great balance between the two flavors.   

#65 - White Chocolate Pudding
6 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 tablespoons of cold water
3 cups of milk
1 cup of heavy cream
1 1/2 cups of chopped white chocolate (or white chocolate chips)
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
2 teaspoons of vanilla

Place the milk, cream and cornstarch in a sauce pan and heat very gently
When just warm, add the white chocolate and stir until melted
Cook on low, stirring constantly until thickened
Add the vanilla and taste for sweetness
If you like, add the sugar for a little more sweetness.

Remove from the stove and pour into a heat proof dish.  Place a piece of clear plastic wrap directly on the  pudding making sure to cover the pudding completely.  Let cool to room temperature. 

When cooled, remove the plastic wrap and serve.

This recipe makes eight, 1/2 cup servings. 

#66 - Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coulis
You can order the Dark Chocolate balsamic Vinegar from the Grapevine Olive Oil Company and can easily find them on the web.

4 ounces of seedless raspberry preserves
1 small bag frozen raspberries
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup dark chocolate balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water

Place the raspberry preserves, frozen raspberries and the water in a medium saucepan.  Cover and let cook on low until heated through.  Strain through a wire mesh strainer to remove the seeds and return the liquid to the pan.
Add the sugar and cornstarch, let simmer, stirring frequently until thickened
Add the dark chocolate balsamic vinegar and stir, let simmer for 5 more minutes stirring frequently.
Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and stir.

Drizzle some of this over the white chocolate pudding and you will have heaven in a bowl.

I would love to hear from anyone who gives this a try.

Have a great evening,
S.



No comments:

Post a Comment