Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, May 27, 2011

365 in 365 - #70 - Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

For most people that I know, this is a simple task and easily accomplished.  But for me, I have got to confess.....until a couple of years ago, I couldn't make a "pretty" or tender hard boiled egg to save my life.  They always came out rubbery with that greenish tinge around the yolk and I couldn't get the peel off without taking at east half of the egg white with the shell.  I was at the point where I was purchasing hard boiled eggs already cooked and claiming them for my own....now I ask you, how pitiful is that?

It is shameful......unless you are in a really big hurry and simply don't have time to make deviled eggs for 150 guests.  Now, with that said, there are times when convenience outweighs the need to "do it from scratch".  And...speaking of making something from "scratch".  What does that mean anyway?  Does it mean that we plowed the field, planted the seed and harvested the wheat?  Does it mean that we introduced the cows that mated, produced a calf so we can get the milk, the meat and the gelatin?  This question, and others like it, are what go through my little punkin' head every once in a while.  I know......it's rather silly.

I digress......anywho....back to the eggs......

Place your eggs gently in a pan that is about 4 inches deep.  Cover them with cold water, place the pan on the stove and turn on the burner to the lowest heat setting and cover the pan.  This will take several minutes to come up to temperature.  Please don't let the water boil......hard "boiled" eggs should be a figure of speech and not an instructional step on how to cook the darn things!!!  Once the water has come to a very light simmer - not boiling - turn the burner off and let the eggs set in the hot water for 10 minutes.  Remove from the stove and place the eggs in ice water, until you are able to handle them comfortably.

To peel them, start breaking the shells at the more rounded end cuz that is where the air pocket is.  Tap the eggs on the counter to crack the shell completely and then begin peeling from the rounded end.  If you run the cold water and peel the egg under running water, the shell will come off without a problem and you will have gorgeously smooth eggs that are perfectly cooked.

Over the weekend, I'll post a few recipes that are a little "left of center" for these eggs.  If y'all have any family favorite recipes, I would love to hear about them.  Have a wonderful weekend!!!

From my purple kitchen to you!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment