Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

365 in 365 - #63 & #64 - Celebrating Cinco de Mayo

In celebration of this wonderful holiday, I made sour cream chicken enchiladas today for the first time.  They are gorgeous, even if I must say so myself.

I have been researching sour cream enchilada recipes and none of them were as flavorful as I would have liked.  So, I decided to come up with one of my own.



This recipe makes 28, six inch enchiladas

#63 - For the enchiladas:
2 rotisserie chickens, meat taken off the bone and shredded
1 large onion sauteed with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, cumin and dried oregano.
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 can of Hatch green chili sauce
1 can of diced Hatch green chiles
3/4 cup each of shredded Monterrey Jack and shredded Mozzarella cheese mixed together
Mix all ingredients together and set aside

#64 - For the sour cream sauce:
Cook the sauce in the same pan that you cooked the onions in to pick up the flavors left in the pan
1 stick of butter melted with 1/2 cup of flour to make a roux...don't let this get brown.
Slowly add 3 cans of chicken stock and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly
Add 1 can of hatch diced green chiles, stir
Let cool, then add 1 quart of sour cream and whisk to combine

Assembling the enchiladas:
You will need another 1 1/2 cups each of shredded Monterrey Jack and shredded Mozzarella cheese mixed together
Warm the tortillas in batches of 6 to 8 in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds and be sure to cover them with a damp paper towel while warming.

Using a glass baking dish (13 x 9), place enough of the sour cream sauce in the baking dish to cover the bottom.  Each pan will hold 8 to 10 enchiladas.
Place 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture in the tortilla, roll like a cigar and place seam side down in the baking vessel.  Make only one layer of enchiladas.
Once the pan is filled, cover the enchiladas with sour cream sauce, sprinkle on the cheese and add sliced black olives, if you like.

Bake at 370` on the middle rack of the oven until golden and bubbly.

From my purple Mexican inspired kitchen to you.

Enjoy!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment