Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, November 27, 2011

365 in 365 - # 125 & # 126 - Turkey Stock and Southwestern Turkey Pot Pie

Ladies and Gents - this is not yo' mama's pot pie.  This one is spicy, thick, rich and simply chock full of flavor.

I used the turkey that I brined for Thanksgiving for this recipe and used the carcass to make the turkey stock with.  I have to tell you...the brined turkey was an event unto itself.  It turned out to be the most flavorful, moist and tender turkey I have ever had.  I have to confess that I had stopped cooking turkey because of how dry the bird always came out.  Because of the brining process, I will never have to suffer through a dry bird again...and neither will my family.

Southwestern Inspired Turkey Pot Pie
1 Dutch oven
3 deep dish pie plates
1/2 cup turkey fat from the stock made from your turkey carcass.
For a wonderful turkey stock:

  • Place the turkey carcass in a large pot and cover with cold water.  Add 4 celery stalks, 4 carrots and 1 large onion cut into chunks, 1 tablespoon pepper corns and 4 bay leaves, but no salt yet.
  • Place the cover on the pot and turn onto the lowest heat setting on your burner.
  • Cook until the water starts to simmer, then let cook for 30 minutes
  • Strain the hot liquid into another large pot using a large wire strainer lined with 3 layers of cheese cloth.
  • Let cool for 30 minutes and then refrigerate covered over night.
  • The next morning, you will have a nice layer of softly solid turkey fat covering some incredible turkey stock.
  • Use the fat as the thickener for the pot pies

1/2 cup flour
4 tablespoons spicy adobo
4 - 5 cups turkey stock
1 cup each - diced onion, celery and carrots (about a 1/2 inch dice)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 can each sweet corn and black beans, drained and rinsed
4 diced poblano peppers (about a 1/2 inch dice)
6 cups diced turkey
Salt to taste
Pie crust to cover 3 pies

Begin by melting the turkey fat in the Dutch oven over medium heat.  however, if you prefer an alternative to the turkey fat, you can use olive oil as a substitute.
Once melted, add the onion, celery, carrots and poblanos and cook for approx. 10 to 15 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook a few more minutes.
Sprinkle on the flour and stir to incorporate and cook for 5 minutes
Add the turkey stock, stir and let thicken
Add the corn, black beans and turkey and adobo, stir to incorporate and let heat through
At this point, taste for seasoning.  You may or may not need salt, especially if the turkey was brined.

Divide the filling amongst the 3 pie plates, cover with pie dough so that the dough is touching the filling, trim excess dough if needed.

Place the pie plates on a sheet pan lined with tin foil and bake in a pre-heated 350` F oven until the filling is bubbly and the crust is nicely browned.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,

Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment