Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, November 27, 2011

365 in 365 - # 127 - Pumpkin Custard Bread Pudding

I know...there are a ton of bread pudding recipes out there, but I promise that this one is different.  It is uniquely a Susan recipe.

I made 2 kinds of pies for Thanksgiving - pumpkin and custard.  I had left over filling from each pie, so I dumped the left-over pumpkin pie filling into a container and without thinking, I dumped the left over custard pie filling into the same container.....and almost poured it down the drain.  then I thought...basically, the pie fillings each have cream, eggs, sugar and spices in them.  So I thought...what the heck...I'll make a pumpkin custard pie.

The next day, I decided to make bread for Jason.  He loves my home-made white bread.  A great trick to any bread recipe....add butter and honey to the liquid when you start to heat it to activate the yeast - your bread will never be the same and you will get RAVE reviews.  

So, I made 4 large loaves of bread.  As I was rooting around in the fridge for eggs, the pie filling was staring me in the face.  Well, it wasn't just staring....it was glaring at me, so thick and sweet.  And then I thought bread, custard - bread pudding!!!!

I added some milk to thin the filling out a bit and immediately sliced a fresh loaf of bread and took 6 of the slices, each was 3/4 of an inch thick, broke it up into pieces and placed them in the container with the pie filling, being careful to coat all the bread with the custard.   I placed it back in the fridge overnight to soak up all the liquid.

The following day, I used a loaf pan, buttered it and placed the custard drenched bread into the baking vessel and then into a preheated 350` (F) oven to bake for approx. 45 - 60 minutes.

OH MY FLIPPIN' STARS......this was incredible with the maple whipped cream on it.  Jason actually at it for dinner tonite.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,

Enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment