Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, April 28, 2011

365 in 365 - Confessions from a home cook

I was at an all day meeting today and lunch was provided.  It was grilled chicken (tender and moist) with caesar salad (very good salad), veggie lasagna (OK), tortellini (BLECK!!) and tiramisu (very good).  

The only opportunity for improvement was the tortellini.  It had this yucky red tomato-like sauce stuff on it that was pretty darn flat and kind of pasty......except for the scallions.  I know what you are thinking....tomato sauce with scallions...who had that brilliant idea???   Well, the scallions were not a good idea AT ALL!!!!  Texturally speaking, it was just plain weird, taste wise...it simply didn't work.......where was that chef when this was being made?  Did anyone taste it before they served it?  Double BLECK!!!!

All I could think was, "Hey, knuckle head.....you forgot to run the tortellini recipe by me BEFORE you made it......next time, add garlic, minced yellow onion, salt, pepper, a little chopped fresh basil and some red pepper flakes."  I guess I told that chef...!!

Now for the confession - during each break today and at lunch, I wrote several new recipes to try and also wrote down several new ideas to work through and develop.    I should probably have been networking and socializing, but no....Susan had to go and sit off in a corner and write about food.  All I can say is.....I am what I affectionally refer to as "a short round redhead" and there is a good, solid (or should I say soft?) reason why I am round....

So, my dear readers, I have come to the conclusion that there is simply no cure for this affliction......my poor husband, family, friends and blog visitors will have to live with the consequences.  ::cheshire cat grin::

So with all that being said about today's adventures, I'll post the new recipes as soon as I have tested them.  Even if the results are awful, I will "confess" that too.

Have a wonderful evening!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment