Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, June 5, 2011

365 in 365 - #74 - Grilled Salsa

Summer is a great time to play with your food.  As children, we were most likely told to not play with our food and that may have stuck with us throughout our lives......until now.  This home cook blesses you to go forth and play with your food, don't be shy, no one is watching and no one will make you stop.....

Cooking flings open the doors to experiment with different flavors, cooking techniques, new combinations, making a mess, throwing parties and just plain having fun.  

Grilled anything takes on a much different and deeper flavor.  This includes grilling all kinds of fruit.  If it can hold it's shape through cooking, it can be grilled.  

Any of the following fruits can be grilled and used in this recipe:
  • Peaches
  • Plumbs
  • Pineapple
  • Mango
  • Papaya
  • Star fruit
  • Cherimoya (I'll have to check the spelling on this one)
  • Granny Smith apples (with the skin on)
For the salsa:
1 fresh pineapple, trimmed and sliced into about 1/2 inch slices  and brushed with a bit of olive oil
1 purple onion, sliced, brushed with olive oil
2 limes, cut in half and brushed with a bit of olive oil

Grill the fruit and onion on each side until grill marks are nicely visible.  Limes need only be grilled on the "cut" side.  Time for cooking depends upon how hot your grill is.  Try to avoid direct flame on the fruit.

Jalapeno (1 - 3) and / or serrano peppers (1 - 3) washed and brushed with a bit of olive oil and grilled until charred.  For this part, be sure to wear gloves......peel off the outer charred skin, seed and mince.

1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper

Chop the pineapple and onion into about 1/2 inch pieces and combine with the remaining ingredients, squeeze in the lime juice, stir and serve. 

This works very nicely on baked / grilled fish, salmon burgers, with tortilla chips, on beef burgers, with turkey chicken and pork / ham.  

I simply know that you will enjoy this wonderful salsa.

Have a wonderful day!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment