Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, June 19, 2011

365 in 365 - #79 - Intensely Lemony Cookies

I'm having so much fun with this simple shortbread cookie dough......

First of all, let's talk about lemon juice.  Please don't tell me that any one of y'all uses that crap (pardon me) in the lemon shaped container in the grocery store.....PLEASE, say you don't!!!  There is nothing like fresh lemons....for desserts, for fish, for poultry, for garnish, for iced tea, as a decoration....they are so fresh and simply reek of summer.

One of the things that I like to do is to purchase a whole bunch of lemons when they are at their most inexpensive, zest and juice them all at once to use later for baking and whenever a recipe calls for lemon juice.  I store the zest in tightly sealed clear plastic wrapped little packages in the freezer (1 tablespoon per packet) and fill old-fashioned ice cube trays with the juice, let it freeze and then store the frozen juice cubes in a heavy weight plastic bag in the freezer.

For these intensely lemony cookies, make the basic shortbread cookie dough (butter, vanilla, powdered sugar and flour) and add 4 teaspoons of lemon zest and bake as usual.

For the royal icing, instead of water, substitute fresh lemon juice and cover the cookies with the icing.

The first batch of cookies is currently in the oven and the house is beginning to smell of warm lemons.

Jason is just about ready for dessert.

Have a fabulous evening!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment