Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, June 12, 2011

365 in 365 - # 77 - Sun Dried Tomato, Pine Nut and Basil Cookies

Y'all are gonna think I am nuts....but I am working on a very mature flavor profile for cookies.  The following works, and works VERY well.


Sun Dried Tomato, Pine Nut and Basil Shortbread Cookies

This recipe makes 36 cookies

For the cookies
1 cup of butter at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup of chopped sun dried tomatoes, the kind not packed in olive oil
Beat until completely mixed

Then, add 2 1/4 cups flour, a pinch of salt and beat until mixed

Preheat oven to 400' F.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and flatten into discs, about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick
Place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown

I frosted my cookies with royal icing, but you can frost them with any plain icing that you like.

Basil Scented Royal Icing - These amounts have been adjusted for the recipe so that not very much is left over
2 teaspoons meringue powder
1 1/4 cups of confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/3 cup basil leaves, process in food processor until smooth
Add the water, basil and vanilla mixture to the powdered sugar and meringue powder by 1/8 cups to start with and beat on medium with a hand held mixer until mixed and thickened and fluffy.  You may or may not need all of the liquid that remains. 

Spread about 1 teaspoon of icing on each cookie and let the icing dry.  This icing will dry to a firm consistency, but will not be so hard that it will crack or crumble.  You can use a bit more if you like.  Also, using a pastry bag with a very small tip works well too.

Enjoy!!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment