Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, August 5, 2011

365 in 365 - #100 - Cornbread Stuffed Hatch Chiles

One of the best things in the world are Hatch chiles.  Each year, the bounty of mild to hot peppers is incredible and I purchase TONS of them to cook and freeze.  I buy them fresh and fire roasted and prepare them for use all year long.  There is something so sublime about Hatch chiles.  Yes, they really are different than "regular" chiles.

These are the chiles that the chile pepper wreaths are made from.  We have "ristras" hanging in the kitchen and usually have a pepper wreath on the front door in the cooler weather.

One of my favorite ways to fix them is to stuff them.  One very unique way that I prepare them is to fill them with my favorite cornbread recipe and bake them.  The cornbread recipe I use is a sweet version and everyone has their favorite.  Basically, prepare the chiles in this manner:

First, wash the peppers and then cut the tops off of them and remove the seed pod.  Line a jelly roll pan with tin foil and spray it with cooking spray.  Then, take  strips of tin foil and create a "log" about 2 inches in diameter by scruntching up the tin foil to form the log.

Then, mix up your cornbread recipe and fill the peppers about 2/3 of the way with the batter, being sure to get the batter down into the tip of the pepper.
Place the peppers with the open end up on the tin foil log and bake according to the cornbread recipe.

I think  you will be surprised at just how wonderful these are.  These also freeze very well if sealed well in saran wrap.

More Hatch chile recipes will be coming your way over the next few weeks.

From my purple kitchen to you!!!
Enjoy,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment