Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, August 6, 2011

365 in 365 - #101 - Spicy Stuffed Peppers

I think every culture has a version of stuffed vegetables of some sort.  Some are stuffed with cheeses, other veggies, meats, plantains, tofu or other ingredients such as rice and beans.  Where I grew up, we had stuffed green bell peppers.  These were very easy to make with ground beef, onion, rice and tomato sauce.

But, over the past several years, I have come to fully enjoy a little spice in my life and have come to enjoy using a more zesty version of the pepper.  I love to use poblano peppers, but now that Hatch chile pepper season is here....this is my pepper of choice.

For an updated and spicy version of stuffed peppers, try this:

2 large jars of Picante sauce
12 to 18 Hatch chile peppers, washed with the tops cut off and seed pods removed
13 x 9 x 2 inch pan or larger if needed

For the stuffing:
1 pound of ground beef or ground turkey
1 large yellow onion, diced small
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Crumbled queso fresco for sprinkling over the top of the peppers

Mix all the stuffing ingredients together and stuff the mixture into the peppers, filling them from the narrow tip up to the top.
Place enough picante sauce in the bottom of the baking vessel to coat the pan
Lay the stuffed peppers in the pan and spoon over additional picante sauce on each pepper and keep the remainder of the sauce handy.  You may have to add some additional sauce to the pan.
Cover the pan with tin foil for the first 20 minutes of cooking, then remove the cover and let the sauce thicken.

Bake at 350' F for 30 to 45 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.

Serve with a green salad and black beans for a great southwestern inspired meal.

From my purple kitchen to you!!!

Enjoy,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment