Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

365 in 365 - #99 - Heart Healthy French Toast

OK...here goes...this version of French toast can be served to just about anyone who is calorie conscious, even vegetarian.  Even this version will blast the "regular" version out of the pan.

I hope your arteries had a nice rest, because they are about to get a little tender, loving care.  

For the heart healthy version of French toast, you will need:
Egg substitute to equal 1 dozen eggs, mixed with with 1/3 cup of milk
2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract
1/2 cup of real maple syrup - please don't skimp on this ingredient
Optional - 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
10 - 12 slices of your choice of bread, low calorie / high fiber bread works great

A non-stick pan with cover, coated with your favorite low calorie cooking sprayReal maple syrup for pouring over the French toast
Or...you can use my recipe for Strawberry Jam with Dark Chocolate balsamic vinegar......complete YUMNESS!!!!!!

Soak each piece of bread in the egg batter.  You may need to squish it down with a fork until it is well soaked with the egg batter.  You also might need a spatula to pick it up and place it in the hot pan.  Spray the pan with cooking spray, but don't let it get browned.  Place 2 slices of the soaked bread into the pan and place the cover on the pan.

Let this cook for at least 10 minutes then check to see if it is browned on one side by gently lifting up a corner.  It might take an additional 5 to 10 minutes.  The trick here is to be patient.  Once the first side is browned, flip the toast over and place the cover back on the pan.  Let it cook an additional 10 minutes and check to see if  the second side is browned.  When the toast is done, it should be nice and puffy in the center of each piece.  When this comes out of the pan, it will deflate, so don't be surprised if it does.  Repeat the process until all the egg batter is gone.

This is a great make-ahead breakfast.  The version also freezes very well if wrapped tightly.  If you choose to reheat this in a microwave, reheat the toast by covering it with a damp paper towel on the defrost setting. This will keep the toast from becoming rubbery and tough.  I reheat this in a 325' (F) oven, wrapped in tin foil for about 15 minutes and then unwrap it and heat for an addition 5 minutes, just to crisp it up.


This version is wonderful and I'll bet, if you don't tell anyone that this is "heart healthy", they may not know the difference.


I would love to hear from y'all when you try this recipe.


From my purple kitchen to you,
Have a wonderful nite!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment