Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, March 6, 2011

365 in 365 - #40 & #41 - Applesauce Cake & Quick Fix Applesauce

Back on January 22nd, I posted my family's recipe for applesauce.  Each fall, when we would make home-made applesauce by the gallons, my mom would bake this cake.  We did not use "mass produced" applesauce because it just didn't have the flavor and color of our home-made.  The only time that my mom would make this cake was in the fall, when MacIntosh apples were plentiful.  

This cake is moist, spicy and simply scrumpdillyicious.  The house smells of cinnamon and warm apples when it is cooking.  I do make a light icing with milk, powdered sugar, more cinnamon and a little vanilla to drizzle over the cake.  

Applesauce Cake

For the best results, use the home-made applesauce that I posted back in January.  

1 cup of butter
2 cups of sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cloves
3 tbsp cocoa powder (yes, cocoa powder)
2 cups of applesauce

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
Beat in the eggs and vanilla
Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cocoa

Add the dry ingredients alternating with the applesauce beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.

Grease and flour a 9” tube pan, pour the batter in and bake at 350’ for 1 hour and 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.

Cool for 1 hour before removing from the pan.


Quick Fix Applesauce
After all of the expounding that I have done over home-made applesauce, I am going to give you a trick to make "brand-name" applesauce into something delicious.  Take any 12 - 15 ounce jar or (heaven forbid) can of applesauce and place into a small pan.  Heat it very gently and add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon of cloves, stir and serve warm.  

I know you will enjoy this cake.

Have a great evening!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment