Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, March 11, 2011

365 in 365 - #42 - Hermits

This recipe is being posted because I don't think anyone else in my family has it.  My mom made these bar cookies a lot.  She made these for bake sales, as gifts, for us and for just about everyone.  Up until a few years ago, I even had the pan that she used to make them in.  Unfortunately, the pan finally gave in from all the years of cooking and it actually sprung a little leak.  We gave it a proper funeral and it is now memorialized in our hearts.  

This is very old recipe and well worth the effort.  These hermits were the most requested bar cookie of all the cookies that my mother made.  I have no idea where the recipe came from.  I only know that this recipe was in my mother’s shoebox and was in her handwriting.  This is also my father’s favorite bar cookie.


Ruthie’s Famous Hermits

1 cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
3 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup milk
½ cup molasses
1 cup raisins or currants

Preheat the oven to 350` and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Cream the sugar and oil together.  
Stir all the dry ingredients together and then sift.
Combine the milk and molasses.  Alternately add this and the dry ingredients to the sugar and oil.  Mix well.  Fold in the raisins or currants.  Spread the batter onto the jelly roll pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  

Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and cut into 2 inch squares.  These will disappear from your kitchen.

Grandmothers everywhere are probably sighing over this traditional bar cookie.

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment