Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, March 20, 2011

365 in 365 - # 43 - Red Pepper, Scallion and Sweet Pickle Relish

I just realized that I posted this recipe back on January 3rd.....silly me!!!  I am keeping a list of the recipes and missed this on the list.  If it is not an exact match to the amounts in the previous post, it doesn't have to be, this is the beauty of cooking, you can adjust the flavors to how you feel and what you are cooking as you go.  I'll post a new #43 in the next few days.

Last nite, we had company over for dinner and I made Cuban Sandwiches and fried plantains.  I also served my lime mayo (recipe #4 posted on January 4th). They were a huge hit.  One of the best things about the sandwich is the relish that I make to put in the sandwich.

A few weeks ago, I was roaming around in Half Price Books (one of my absolute favorite stores) and found a CD of some very old Cuban jazz from the 1920's - 30's.  What a great CD!!  I love to have music reminiscent of the food and culture that I serve.  I also like to buy wine from the same culture to go with the food.  For a possible match to Cuban wine, I tried to purchase something from the Dominican Republic (same part of the globe), but was unable to find anything.  So, I settled for a very slightly sweet red wine to go with the meal.  I didn't want anything too dry, just crisp and clean.

Great company, great food, fabulous music and a touch of wine....such a wonderful evening!!


Sweet Sue's Sweet Relish
Take 1 small jar of sweet relish (the work is already done)
1 cup of roasted, peeled and diced red peppers
8 scallions, sliced very thin

Mix it all together and there you have it.....a great relish for pressed Cuban sandwiches, for burgers, hot dogs, chicken or turkey.  It is slightly sweet, but not cloyingly so, like plain sweet relish can be.  It is crisp and bright and packs tons of flavor.

I hope y'all enjoy!!
S.

2 comments:

  1. We need to have a night in your kitchen so you can teach me "stuff". LOL. Love ya - lets get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome anytime...I thought for a girls nite one saturday, I might have a cooking party......home-made tamales, home-made salsa, salad, tres leches cake, sopapillas......

    ReplyDelete