Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

365 in 365 #43 - Mojo de Ajo

Ok, girls and boys.....you will be feasting after you make this sauce and the use it on so many really great foods.

This recipe has been adapted from Rick Bayless, who happens to be my Mexican Cooking hero.  Y'all should check out his web site some time...it is great, as is his show on PBS.

So, back to cooking - take....oh, lets say 20 heads of garlic and peel the cloves.  Save this for a day when you just want to "bash" something or someone.  Then place the cleaned cloves in a Dutch oven, cover with olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes.  Place the cover on the pan and cook on low for about 30 minutes or until the garlic cloves are soft.  Turn off the heat and let the garlic cloves sit in the oil till about room temp.  Mash them with a potato masher and add the juice of 1 to 2 limes and stir, check for seasoning.

OH MY FLIPPIN STARS........!!!!!!

Completely amazing.  I use this as a base for salad dressings, to pour over chicken, in omelets, spread on bread, in a pasta dish with shrimp or chicken with this poured all over, a gorgeous steak, a roasted turkey breast....just think of this in your next batch of stuffing.....and HOLY CANOLI.....in tamales, on pizza, to ward off evil spirits, to have the best attended lunch meeting in the company, to give as a holiday gift with some great dipping bread, the uses are endless.......and the compliments will be extraordinary.

This one, I have got to hear about.

Go forth and enjoy...!

From my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment