Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, March 26, 2011

365 in 365 - #43 - New - Vanilla Scented Ricotta with Fresh Fruit

One of the best foods ever invented is cheese....cheese of any kind.  I love cottage cheese, ricotta, fresh mozzarella, parmesan, gorgonzola......you name it, I like it.  Well, maybe not all....I am not a fan of Limburger cheese.  Limburger is a cheese that is best not experienced.  However, if you must try it, keep it out side of any home or enclosed space.  If you have never experienced this cheese, I dare you, I double dog dare you!!!  My father and brother used to eat this on Black Forest bread with German mustard and onions....I can still smell it......BLECK!!!!!

Anywho, I love to mix soft cheeses with sweet or savory flavors and create texture with nuts or other ingredients.

This recipe calls for 1 pint of ricotta, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and sweetener of your choice, all to taste.  I like Equal for this recipe, though granulated sugar will work just fine.  Stir the 3 ingredients together and serve with fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or other favorite fruit(s) or fruit salad.  This is a great dessert served in a martini glass or in a parfait glass lightly sprinkled with chopped nuts.

Flavored ricotta also works well with pancakes and fresh fruit.

Other variations - you can always try your favorite jam mixed with ricotta or cream cheese.

Just a hint about using cream cheese.  Make sure it is at room temperature and NOT fat free.  If you are watching calories, use low fat cream cheese as it will blend much better than the non-fat version when mixed.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment