Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, March 26, 2011

365 in 365 - # 44 & #45- Baked Salmon with Sweet Shallot Israeli Couscous

One of the best cuts of fish is wild, Alaskan salmon.  The color can't be beat....it is a deep pink with incredible flavor and a soft texture.

In my kitchen, the absolute worst thing that anyone can do is overcook anything, especially a gorgeous piece of salmon.  When I cook salmon, I do not cook it until it is "cooked" all the way through.  I like it on the "under done" side so it stays soft and completely lovely.  Now, how well done you cook meat or fish is entirely a personal matter.  For me, scallops should be seared on the outside only...never cooked until well done.  I also like my steaks rare...basically a brief introduction to the grill is all any good steak needs.  If it is mooing when I stick my fork in it, that wouldn't bother me at all.  However, I like my burgers medium well.

For the best baked salmon on the planet, pre-heat your over to 350` and use the middle rack.
Place your salmon skin side down in the pan and brush with melted butter, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and bake until your desired doneness. You can also add some fresh or dried dill to the butter before you baste and that works great.  Now, the small amount of butter on this fish will not hurt a thing, but you can do without it, if you prefer.


I serve salmon frequently with Sweet Shallot Israeli Couscous

4 cups of cooked Israeli couscous (large beads of pasta)
10 shallots, peeled, sliced very thin and sauteed in 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil until golden and sweet
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Serve with a salad or grilled veggie of your choice.

Enjoy,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment