Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, July 10, 2011

365 in 365 - #85 - Spinach with Mushrooms, Sweet Onion and Swiss Cheese

Years ago, I came up with a recipe for a low-cal vegetarian sandwich that became a huge hit with friends and family.  My friend Mary and I used to eat this, warmed, in pita pockets for lunch.  I think we lived on this meal for an entire summer one year.

1 pound of baby spinach leaves
8 ounces of sliced mushrooms, sauteed until browned
1 small onion, chopped and sauteed until caramelized
4 thick slices of Swiss cheese, cut into cubes
1/3 cup low calorie Italian salad dressing

Mix all the cooked veggies, cheese and salad dressing together
Place 1/2 cup or more, if you like, in a small pita bread and warm gently in a pan or sandwich grill.

This recipe will make about 4-6 servings, depending upon how much you like in your sandwich.

Variations with the filling:

  • Use phyllo dough to make little packages stuffed with this mixture.  Very reminiscent of Spanikopita.
  • Make a vegetable pie with this filling (traditional pie dough on the top and bottom)
  • Use puff pastry dough and make your own version of "hot pockets"
  • Use mini-tartlet shells for a one bite appetizer
  • Grease a standard glass pie plate, mix together 2 cups of milk, 3 eggs and 1/2 cup of biscuit mix and pour over the filling and bake until set for a "crustless" quiche.  

Other items that you can add / change:
  • Change the dressing
  • Roasted jalapenos
  • Diced bacon, ham, chicken or turkey
Use your imagination and add flavors and textures that you enjoy.  There are no limits on what you can do with this.  

From my purple kitchen to you.

Enjoy your evening!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment