1 pound of baby spinach leaves
8 ounces of sliced mushrooms, sauteed until browned
1 small onion, chopped and sauteed until caramelized
4 thick slices of Swiss cheese, cut into cubes
1/3 cup low calorie Italian salad dressing
Mix all the cooked veggies, cheese and salad dressing together
Place 1/2 cup or more, if you like, in a small pita bread and warm gently in a pan or sandwich grill.
This recipe will make about 4-6 servings, depending upon how much you like in your sandwich.
Variations with the filling:
- Use phyllo dough to make little packages stuffed with this mixture. Very reminiscent of Spanikopita.
- Make a vegetable pie with this filling (traditional pie dough on the top and bottom)
- Use puff pastry dough and make your own version of "hot pockets"
- Use mini-tartlet shells for a one bite appetizer
- Grease a standard glass pie plate, mix together 2 cups of milk, 3 eggs and 1/2 cup of biscuit mix and pour over the filling and bake until set for a "crustless" quiche.
Other items that you can add / change:
- Change the dressing
- Roasted jalapenos
- Diced bacon, ham, chicken or turkey
Use your imagination and add flavors and textures that you enjoy. There are no limits on what you can do with this.
From my purple kitchen to you.
Enjoy your evening!!!