Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Culinary adventures on a Sunday - Tomato is the veggie of the day

Today is a great day for cooking.  Jason is working on a painting and I am in the kitchen cooking up a storm.  Right now, there are roma tomatoes in the oven roasting for roasted tomato basil soup.  This soup is one that Ina Garten demonstrated on her show several years back.  I just love it.  There is no cream or milk in the soup but it is very rich and satisfying.  It is purely vegetables with a little chicken stock in it.  For those who don't eat meat, a roasted vegetable stock works very nicely as the base.

I serve this with grilled cheese sandwiches.  For the grilled cheese, I use a combination of pepperjack, cheddar and asiago.  This combination of cheese is incredible....sharp, smooth, nutty and spicy...all in one bite.

I am also making Giada DeLaurentis' sun dried tomato jam.  Instead of the water, I use a nice Pino Grigio and use half of the red vinegar that the recipe calls for.  I also add extra diced sun dried tomatoes that are not packed in olive oil.  I make crostini from ciabatta bread, rub it with a garlic clove, spread goat cheese on the top and then put the jam on top of that......complete YUMNESS.

Tomorrow, it is grilled veggies, roasted carrots, beef burgers, frankfurters, ice cold honey beer, Margaritas, lime shortbread cookies, apple pie and vanilla ice cream.  Jason will be eating like a king for the rest of the week.

I just remembered......I froze left over polenta that I made last week.....I bet the veggies will be amazing served with the polenta.

Let me know what y'all are cooking in the kitchen this weekend.

Have a wonderful evening!!!
S.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, I love your Veggie of the Day concept and wow does that all look GREAT!! ~Megan

    ReplyDelete