Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, July 23, 2011

365 in 365 - #88 - Rice Pudding

As a kid, rice pudding and tapioca pudding were among my favorites.  I still love them both.  Pudding brings back such warm, wonderful memories for me.  It was one of those comfort foods that we always got when we were sick.  Growing up, mom made everything from "scratch".  Out house was always filed with cookies, fudge, pumpkin cake or pumpkin bread, banana nut bread, date bread or whoopie pies....now there is a recipe that I have got to share with y'all.

The rice pudding that I make is based upon my mom's recipe, but I added a little more of this and a little more of that and don't add raisins.  I'm not a huge fan of raisins in pudding, even in rice pudding.  I know, they are a "classic" ingredient, but they are so big.....I might consider adding currants plumped up in warm spiced rum or warm brandy....now there is a thought...spiced rum.....hmmmmm!!!!!


Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 cups cooked long grain white rice
3 cups whole milk and 1 cup of heavy cream
4 large eggs, beaten
8 teaspoons corn starch
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or real vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

In a large pot, combine the milk, cream, corn starch, salt and sugar and heat gently until steam starts to rise, stirring constantly.  Add some of the milk mixture 9about 1/2 cup to the eggs and stir to bring them up to temperature.  While stirring, very slowly add the eggs to the milk and cream mixture.  Once all are incorporated, add the rice and stir.  Sprinkle on the spices and stir to incorporate.  Cook until thickened and remove from heat source.  The last ingredient to add is the vanilla bean paste or vanilla and stir to incorporate.

You can substitute skim milk and liquid egg substitute in this recipe and it works very well.

I hope y'all enjoy!!!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment