Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

365 in 365 - #97 - Sandwich Pockets

As I was thinking about how I might crimp the edges of pie dough for a new pie recipe, I realized that I may never have to purchase those ready-made sandwich pockets again.  

I know....thinking about what to do with pie crust may be a little too focused on the details for some...alright - for most...but I have gotten pretty creative with the edges for pie crust in the past.  As we approach the holiday season, I'll share tips, tricks and pictures for several simply stunning pie crust variations that I have used over the years.  Some of the level of detail may require a little bit of the "left of center" attitude, but then again, what are spicy & bold redheads for?

So, off I went to the kitchen to give this little idea a try.  Take 2 slices of your favorite fresh bread, at room temperature, and trim off the crust.  You can cut the bread diagonally, which will give you nice little triangles or you can use a biscuit cutter or your favorite glass (thanks to generations before us for that idea) and make rounds.

Place enough filling in the center of one piece of the bread and leave about 1/2 inch bare all the way around the edge.  Cover  the filling with the other piece of bread and use a fork to press the edges together, just like you would a traditional pie crust.  You can eat it just as it is, or depending upon the filling, bake it in the oven or brown it in a pan with a little butter or oil.

This might be a great way to let kids be creative in the kitchen.  I'm thinking different kinds of breads for top and bottom, making "sweetwhiches" with peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and M&Ms or strawberry jam with Nutella (which I just LOVE!!!!).

A slightly modified version of smores.....Nutella, crushed graham cracker pieces and marshmallow fluff for the filling.

OH MY GOODNESS.....just think of the fun for Halloween.......dark pumpernickel bread, peanut butter & jelly with gummy worms sticking out of the seams........this just brings a huge smile to my face thinking about the gooey and ghoulish possibilities.

From my purple kitchen to you!!!

Enjoy,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment