Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, July 23, 2011

365 in 365 - #89 - Easy Egg Cups

Every once in a while, I like to use custard cups to cook eggs in.  The size is perfect for english muffins and, as a stand-alone egg,  they make a great presentation on a plate.  I also make a mini version of "omelets" using this method.  This also works very well if you are trying to cook for a crowd or want to cook ahead for the week.

If you cook these ahead and warm them in the microwave, when reheating, dampen a paper towel with water and heat only on the defrost setting or on half power checking every 30 seconds to see if the eggs are warm.  This gentle heating method keeps the eggs from becoming rubbery.

For use with English Muffins, I cook 1 egg per custard cup.  For serving as a stand alone egg, I typically use 2 - 3 eggs per person.  You can leave them whole or scramble them.

Heat a kettle of water, but not to boiling.
Spray your custard cups well with your favorite cooking spray and place in a large skillet that has a cover.
Add the eggs to the custard cups and fill the pan with the hot water until the water comes about half-way up the sides of the custard cups.
Cover the pan with the lid slightly ajar and cook on the lowest heat setting on your burner.
Cooking the eggs will be very slow and the eggs will come out tender and luscious.
Please don't let the water boil, the eggs will come out tough and rubbery.  The eggs are done when the center becomes a soft solid.

You can beat the eggs and add any ingredients and cook them in this manner as well.  I love to use home-made turkey sausage, bacon, sauteed onions, peppers, jalapenos, cheese, or any other favorite omelet fillings and mix them right into the egg and cook.

Another favorite is to take the Canadian Pancake recipe and cook in this manner......but only fill the custard cups 2/3 full.

I would love to hear from you if you give this method a try.

From my purple kitchen to you!!!

Enjoy,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment