Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, April 17, 2011

365 in 365 - #50, #51 & #52- Oricchietti with Truffled Salt, the Perfect Filet Mignon and Roasted Asparagus

I am on a roll this weekend.....and it feels great to be back in the kitchen.  Yesterday, I went shopping, but I didn't mention that I bought Oricchietti and salt with black truffles in it.......OH MY FLIPPIN STARS.....I just LOVE black truffles.  The very first time I experienced black truffles was when my hairdresser (Joy - her name describes her perfectly) gave me a taste of truffle scented almonds......I was hooked.

Anywho....I bought the black truffle salt to put on the pasta (Oricchietti).  I cooked a bag of the oricchietti according to the package directions.  While that was cooking, I melted 1/2 stick of butter with 1/4 cup olive oil very gently.  I drained the pasta, placed it in a large bowl, drizzled on the butter and oil, added about 1/2 teaspoon of the truffled salt and 1/2 tsp of fresh ground pepper, stirred it very well and as the truffles hit the warm pasta....my kitchen was filled with an amazing aroma.  I ended up adding a touch more of the salt and it was perfection.

For the filet mignon, I simply sprinkled it with salt and pepper on all sides and placed into a heated cast iron pan with 1/3 cup of olive oil.  I seared it on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes on each side.  The filet came out beautifully browned and rare to medium rare on the inside.  These were very thick pieces of filet.

I also made roasted asparagus.  I used pencil asparagus, drizzled it with olive oil, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper and placed under the broiler for 5 - 7 minutes.

This was dinner tonite.  I hope y'all try the truffled salt, which you can get at the Grapevine Olive Oil Company, so please visit their store if you are in the vicinity or please visit web site to see all the amazing goodies that they have.

Enjoy your week and THANK YOU to everyone who visits my blog.

You are appreciated!!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment