Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Monday, April 18, 2011

365 in 365 - #53 - Gingerbread Cake

Some of the best memories I have are when my mom would bake, cuz we got to lick the spoon and mixing bowl.  I remember, as a small child, I would have a "batter smile" on my face.  My mom could bake almost anything.  She always had chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies or Russian teacakes in the house.  But, one favorite was her gingerbread.  We never had frosting or icing on it, we liked it plain with a cold glass of milk or served beside some vanilla bean ice cream......what a treat!


Mom's Gingerbread Cake

1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
½ cup vegetable shortening
2 eggs
 ¾ cup molasses
2 ¾ cup sifted flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk 
          To sour milk, add 1 tbsp vinegar to 1 cup milk and let sit for 30 minutes

Preheat oven to 350’
Combine all the dry ingredients, except for the sugar

Blend sugar, shortening and eggs, then stir in molasses.
Add the buttermilk, alternating with the dry ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, beat well.

Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 pan and spread the batter into the pan.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.  

I hope you enjoy!

Have a great evening,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment