Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

365 in 365 - #55 - Cranberry Chipotle Spread

I just love the taste of cranberry and chipotle.  The sweet, tart and heat combination is a wonderful thing.  I use a variation of this spread on the tamales I make every year for Thanksgiving and / or Christmas.  This is also a very nice gift in a decorative jar.  It lasts about 1 week to 10 days in the fridge and works well on turkey, chicken, burgers, ham and pork and even on biscuits.

To start, get a bag of cranberries (fresh or frozen) and make whole berry cranberry sauce according to the package directions.  While that is cooking, dice up a purple onion (does anyone know why they call them red onions?) and saute in a little vegetable oil until translucent.  

Take 1 - 3 chipotles in Adobo sauce, mince them up and add them to the cranberries, sauce and all.  You can find these in your Hispanic Foods section at the grocery.  These are pretty spicy, so start with 1 if you like something very mild.  You may also add a little more of the adobo sauce from the can.  Stir in the sauteed onion and taste for seasoning.  Let this reduce over low heat until it is thick and spreadable.  I sometimes add a little orange juice to thin it out if it gets too thick.  The flavor of orange goes so well with cranberry.  Wait until the spread has thickened and cooled a bit before adding any salt and pepper, and start with 1/4 teaspoon of each and taste.

I know you will enjoy this spread.

Have a great evening,
S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment