Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, April 21, 2011

365 in 365 - #56 - Sweet Potato Cakes

Let's face it, sweet potatoes are the bomb!!  They make any meal wonderful and can be a great snack.  I tried this version of a potato pancake and simply LOVED it.  It has several of my favorite ingredients in it......cilantro, maple bacon and shallots.

2 large sweet potatoes, baked and slightly mashed
1/2 pound of maple bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled.
Regarding the bacon - If you are vegan or don't eat bacon, you can leave it out and the recipe will still be very good.
4 diced shallots
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes - optional

Other optional ingredients - raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, pecans or other combinations of dried fruits and nuts.

Mix all the ingredients together and form into 2 ounce patties.  I usually mix this with a fork because I like the potato a bit on the chunky side.  Another tip - you may need to put a little oil on your hands so the cakes don't stick to you.

Heat a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet on medium.
Add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil and saute the sweet potato cakes until golden brown on each side.
Serve plain, with cranberry chipotle spread or another condiment that you like.

This recipe makes 8 to 10 cakes / patties, depending upon the size of the potatoes and how big you make them.

These are a wonderful side dish for any occasion and will also work well for a buffet or open house.  

Have a great evening,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment