Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, April 3, 2011

365 in 365 - #46 - Banana Bread

I think I have mentioned my mom's shoebox before.  This is where she kept all of her recipes and this is where I found this one.  It was tucked away in another recipe that was folded up.  I had been searching high and low for this one and am so very grateful that I was able to come across it.  

One hint about bananas - let them get really brown and freeze them in their skins.  They will keep for about 2-3 months in the freezer.  When thawing them, I let them thaw in a colander in the sink so that the liquid drips away from the bananas.

This particular recipe does not come out as a dark bread....this is light and golden in color, moist and not heavy like a brick.  Y'all know what I'm talking about....banana bread dark enough that it could be mistaken for date nut bread and so heavy, you could pave the courtyard with it.  I had some of that kind of bread recently, it tasted good, but....next time, I'll bring my banana bread and we will see how the "baker of the brick" reacts to this recipe.

Banana Bread

This banana bread was a regular treat in my house growing up.  We always had over-ripe bananas on hand.  I think my mom bought extra bananas just so that she would have enough bananas to make this wonderful bread.

My favorite way to eat this is with peanut butter……this is so good, it should be legally required as a kitchen staple in all 50 states.

1 ¾ cups sifted flour 2 eggs, well beaten
2 tsp baking powder 1/3 cup vegetable oil
¼ tsp baking soda 1 ½ cup very ripe, mashed banana
½ tsp salt Optional:  1 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup sugar                                      1 cup chopped dates

Preheat oven to 350`
Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 4 inch loaf pan.
Sift all the dry ingredients together.
Combine the eggs, the oil and banana together.  
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.  
Stir in the walnuts and/or dates, if desired.

Pour into loaf pan and bake on middle rack for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.

This loaf must be cooled completely before slicing.  If you have any left-overs, wrap and refrigerate. 

This recipe also makes 6 Texas sized muffins.  If making muffins, cut the cooking time in half, but test the muffins with a toothpick before removing from the oven.


Enjoy,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment