Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

365 in 365 - #54 - Individual Gingerbread Trifles

So....last nite I posted my mom's gingerbread cake recipe, which is very "kid friendly", slightly sweet and evokes memories of cool / cold weather fun.  Mmmmmm, a warm piece of cake and a cold glass of milk...total yumness!!!!!

Now, lets turn this into something a bit more elegant and "adult friendly".  A little spiced rum (Captain Morgan would be proud), whipped cream and cake....what could be wrong with that??  Think of it this way, you get the benefits of several food groups....fruit, carbohydrate, dairy, protein and vegetable (possibly the ginger, if we stretch the imagination).

Gingerbread Trifles

Gently heat 2/3 cup of spiced rum and add 1/3 cup white raisins and 1/3 cup dark raisins and bring to a very gentle simmer, cover, let simmer for 2 minutes and then turn the heat off and let the raisins sit in the rum until soft and at room temperature.  

Whip 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and slowly add 2 - 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until soft peaks form.

Cut four, 3 inch by 3 inch squares from the cake and break up the pieces into bite size chunks.  Using a parfait glass, martini glass or other favorite dessert dish, begin by placing a few pieces of gingerbread in the bottom of the glass, add about 2 tablespoons of whipped cream and sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of raisins, add more gingerbread, whipped cream and raisins in layers until the serving vessels are full.  Top with a final bit of whipped cream and sprinkle of raisins.  Serve, wearing a grand smile and a twinkle in your eye.

Oh...I almost forgot....this cake is simply splendid served warm with a little butter......butter is good served with just about everything.

I hope y'all enjoy.

From my purple kitchen to you,
S.


No comments:

Post a Comment