Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, April 22, 2011

365 in 365 - #57 - Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

Since we are on the subject of sweet potatoes, I thought I might throw in another recipe for a salad that is simply tremendous, with a sweet and savory side.  This recipe uses the basic ingredients from the sweet potato cakes, but in another form.  I am always looking for new ways to use cilantro......I simply love the fresh smell and taste.  If "they" made cilantro scented perfume, I would probably wear it.  I know, I know......but think of it this way....we use cucumber, pear, peach, orange, cherry almond, cinnamon and various other scents in skin care products, why not cilantro???

I just had a thought......the color of traditional sweet potatoes almost matches the color of my hair...  ;-)


Preheat oven to 375

2 large raw sweet potatoes, diced into about 1/2 inch pieces, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast, turning every 5 or so minutes until browned to your liking.  The potatoes will be soft, but will keep their shape once done.  Let cool to room temperature.

4 scallions, diced
1/2 pound of maple bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl

Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
Pinch each of salt and freshly cracked pepper

Whisk all the dressing ingredients together and pour over salad and toss to combine.

For a more dramatic looking salad, use a combination of traditional sweet potatoes and deep, dark garnet sweet potatoes.

This potato salad works well for picnics and buffets because there is no egg or mayonnaise in the recipe.

Tip - adding mustard to a dressing that is oil based helps the salad dressing emulsify.  You can vary the amount of mustard by how much flavor you would like the mustard to have in the dressing.

I hope y'all enjoy!!

Have a great evening,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment